Tuesday, January 16, 2007

If you suck at poker and have money...please invite me over!

After ComedySportz on Saturday night I went to a buddy's place in Raleigh to play a cash game. The limit was a little more than I wanted to play, but everyone kinda sucked... so I knew I would make a small killing.

When playing against a group of suckers I strongly suggest the "premium hand only" method. (These people are friends of mine so I'll try to not berate them too much...)

The night starts off with ordering pizza and online poker bad beat stories, which are far better than ghost stories and almost as exaggerated. We begin our "friendly" limit game with 8 players and I see them raising and reraising with K4, J5 (Motown), Q10, etc. I decide to apply the premium hands only strategy. It took 15 minutes or so and, but I finally caught pocket queens.
I limp UTG (Under the Gun - first player to act), hoping to get raised so I can re-raise. Sure enough... 2 more limpers and a pot-sized raise by the SB (Small Blind) I re-raise the pot and get 2 callers. Turns out one of the guys had a somewhat legitimate hand (AQ). The flop... J-J-4... rainbow (no flush draw possibilities.) I bet the pot and get raised some crazy amount but I only had enough in front of me to call about half of it. turn was a 5 and the river was a K. My Queens held up and I took down a pot large enough to pay for my plane ticket and then some.

At this point I was getting sleepy but the win gave me a little more energy :)

I decided I'd stay for another orbit and then head out. I did catch AK, but didn't want to play it against a raise and a reraise holding random cards.

I just got back to work from depositing the funds in my bank account. I had already purchased my ticket about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Got an amazing deal flying out of RDU the 30th of this month, but I have a 3 hour layover in Charlotte. Flying alone is no fun... Bleh... but for $187 and some odd cents round-trip, it's well worth it!

My flight leaves Raleigh at 7:30 AM.... Bleh!


I am looking forward to the trip though. Poker tournies...Poker tournies... and more Poker tournies! Hopefully my BlackJack can pay for my tournaments like it did last Vegas trip.

I'll keep everyone posted.


Becky Whittemore helped me out earlier this month by switching ComedySportz show nights with me, and I promised to bring her something back from the trip. I hope she likes hookers.

2 comments:

Ted Hobgood said...

I love all these poker codewords and slang that I don't understand in the least. It's like walking through a market in Marrakesh and eavesdropping on the hubbub.

I am never playing cards with you.

Have fun in Vegas. Bring me back a tattoo.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.