Monday, November 13, 2006

I miss poker with my PPA tour bretheren

Here is an e-mail I received from a friend of mine who I taught poker strategy to many moons ago. It was indeed nice to hear from him.

I agree entirely with him about the crap that is going on at PokerStars right now. Most of the psychotic play on Stars can be attributed to all of the players migrating from other online poker sites that have been shut down due to the new law.

Here's the e-mail:

Tommy,

I don't know about you, but I've gotten back into playing on Stars this weekafter having been out of it for about three months, and I honestly believethe game has gotten worse. I've probably played about 200 hands, I'mtalking playable hands, and the following happens:A) Can't hit a flop, or even get three to a straight or flush.B) Been playing my monster hands strong by raising pre-flop a good amountand get called by inferior hands for them to win at the end and cripple me.C) Half the hands I have had have been six-high.D) Those on draws won't lay down (especially the gutshot going into theriver) while I have my set.E) And finally, playing the $1, $2, and $3 tournaments at night arebasically freeroll. You can also include the $5 and even the $10 games.I'm lucky to make it out of the second blind level.Bottom line, I can't cash based on stupidity.What all I'm getting at is......Poker Taverns could get another look at me after a nine-month layoff......assoon as I land a job to make some gas money.You might want to check me out this weekend. I plan on playing a tournamentor two during the afternoon.One other thing......do you object to Sunday afternoon tournaments online??I'm leaning more towards that day that does not conflict with Hitt's homegames.That also reminds me. I really would like to see you come back to Hitt's place to play. We need the players like you that keep the place entertained. Give Hitt a call or e-mail him one. He's supposed to start his first event a week from this Sunday(11/19). Later, dude!!!!

2 comments:

Corey Brown said...

Ever since Party left the avg play has decreased (increased) drastically. People are calling left and right with absurd hands. Which for a while tilted me like no other because everyones A3 was stomping my AA/KK/AK stuff. But that can't last forever and what I have been doing lately is overbetting redonk amounts. I've had my AA all in preflop against hands as silly as K3 suited. The amount of times I win vs how often they suckout makes it +EV at recently. In the longrun the payoff won't be as good because once the donks donk off all their money that play will be -EV.

The play on Stars right now is on the turn. The major decisions and the money winner/losers all amount to 4th street. So start making them pay for their idiocy because right NOW, they will call.

Corey Brown said...

This is what I mean! Even though I got sucked out on, he's all in after the turn with no more than a BAD draw. In the end I will profit from these chumps....so I don't complain....much.

PokerStars Game #7012981506: Hold'em No Limit ($0.05/$0.10) - 2006/11/13 - 18:45:41 (ET)
Table 'Colocolo' 9-max Seat #8 is the button
Seat 1: ColbyO22 ($5.90 in chips)
Seat 2: Lukas Latour ($19.15 in chips)
Seat 3: GetFamiliar ($5.70 in chips)
Seat 4: swavay ($9.80 in chips)
Seat 5: hanhu ($23.25 in chips)
Seat 6: Btetz ($1.25 in chips)
Seat 8: Mr_Ee_Man ($14.10 in chips)
Seat 9: guitar_33 ($4.85 in chips)
guitar_33: posts small blind $0.05
ColbyO22: posts big blind $0.10
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Mr_Ee_Man [Kh As]
Lukas Latour: folds
GetFamiliar: calls $0.10
swavay: calls $0.10
hanhu: folds
Btetz: folds
Mr_Ee_Man: raises $0.40 to $0.50
guitar_33: folds
ColbyO22: calls $0.40
GetFamiliar: calls $0.40
swavay: folds
*** FLOP *** [3c 4s Kc]
ColbyO22: bets $0.20
GetFamiliar: calls $0.20
Mr_Ee_Man: raises $1.80 to $2
ColbyO22: folds
GetFamiliar: calls $1.80
*** TURN *** [3c 4s Kc] [Th]
GetFamiliar: checks
Mr_Ee_Man: bets $4
GetFamiliar: calls $3.20 and is all-in
*** RIVER *** [3c 4s Kc Th] [9c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
GetFamiliar: shows [4c 2c] (a flush, King high)
Mr_Ee_Man: mucks hand
GetFamiliar collected $11.65 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $12.25 | Rake $0.60
Board [3c 4s Kc Th 9c]
Seat 1: ColbyO22 (big blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 2: Lukas Latour folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: GetFamiliar showed [4c 2c] and won ($11.65) with a flush, King high
Seat 4: swavay folded before Flop
Seat 5: hanhu folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Btetz folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: Mr_Ee_Man (button) mucked [Kh As]
Seat 9: guitar_33 (small blind) folded before Flop