Friday, August 03, 2007

Wow!!! Thanks Dr. Jones!!!

Here is an excerpt from a recent post on the DSI Message boards, ah fuck it...

It meant so much to me I think I'll go ahead and post the whole thing:

Hey guys,Just wanted to throw my insights in, as well. The show was great! I had a blast facilitating your hilarity. I didn’t give notes after the show because, I’m still getting used to ref-ing, but they will be coming soon. Nevertheless, I think it’s worth pointing out a couple of the great things that happen we should be trying to repeat.

1.) Tommy and Kit showed us the importance of putting in the work to learn the science of funny!This show was lead by two great captains, smart/fun teams, and an amazing voice. In particular, Tommy B. (I believe possibly more than anyone else at the theatre) displays how successful students imbibe the lessons learned from awesome coaches, shows they’ve played in, and watched - and then applies those lessons. He consistantly creates solid scenes and hilarious bits. If you’re looking for a role model for how to become a great comedian, look to this guy. But note, none of his antics are accidental. He doesn’t just happen to get groaners every show or luckily grab Edward for help with his groaner apology. Tommy has studied funny. He knows what the audience, loves and he does it. It’s his investment in the science of comedy, pays out dividends of the feeling of spontaneity.

Kit is the same way, but from a different side. What I love about Kit is, he is as funny as Mr. Voice as any of us are on stage. His expertise in the box is the only thing that can make this possible. Kit’s also not funny by happen stance. The basics of the booth come so easy at this point, he is able to add the extras we appreciate so much.

2.) We say that Topical humor matters. (Even if Jeremy G. wasn’t there?)

This show was fun because we were connected to subject matter the audience was already thinking about. Harry Potter and George Bush are things our audiences see on TV five minutes before they leave the house. What makes DSI better that TV? How about the fact we can offer an interactive form of entertainment that is equally up to date with current events? I can’t stress enough take 5 mins. to read a News paper/ check the Drudge report before you come to the theatre. I GARUNTEE the best scenes you will ever do are the ones the offer a commentary on the world around us.

“Anyone can do funny, that doesn’t impress me. Say something about the world, give me an emotion, and also make me laugh. That is impressive” – Charna Halpern

3.) You Trusted your Ref/Coach! The reason I give themes for the night is because Zack gives so many great notes it’s possible for us to end up not ever actually applying any of them. I trusted Zack’s leadership, and we all won. You trusted my leadership on Sat, and that allowed me to guide the show where it needed to go - and the audience won. Continue to have the discipline to allow being funny to be guided by people who know what they are doing. THIS DOES NOT MEAN LOSE YOUR OWN STYLE!!! Still find your own voice, but truly trust that your coaches know the fundamentals, and then venture out.

All in all, great work. There were definitely some places we need to improve, but I really want to enjoy what we did right.

My last word is this, burn our theme for the night: “never be the person least committed” in your mind. Each the aforesaid points reflects that same theme in a different way. The funniest person on stage is rarely the person most gifted in comedy, more often it’s the person who is most committed to the learning and enjoying the Art of Comedy. And, this idiom is as true of stage as it is on.

You guys should be proud,
Joe


I can't express how much I respect Joe Jones. He's a classy guy and just happens to be one of the funniest people I know. To get a compliment like that from him, WOW, just WOW!

I read that post at work and had to hold back all the happy tears.


Joe's right about Kit FitzSimons too. Kit is effin amazing at voicing. He's actually amazing at everything he does at the theater.



Again, Joe... Thanks a bunch. I appreciate you!


Nub,
Tommy

1 comment:

Ted Hobgood said...

I have been dethroned as Mr. Voice. I cannot compete. I quit.